It definitely pays to look trustworthy – you never know what will come your way, including some helpful advice that can change your day. Recently, we were sitting at the beach, feeling mesmerized by the waves, when a young woman came up & asked us to watch over some of her things while she dipped her feet in the ocean. She explained that she had just finished a run and she had found that dipping your feet in the water after a hard workout is the best way to cool off your whole body. How’s that for some words of wisdom? Her fantastic tip got us thinking that there are probably a whole bunch of tricks that can help you get through the toasty summer months. And since June 2019 was the hottest June on record, we’re pretty sure you’re feeling the heat. So here are some of our favorite ways to chill out – literally!
1. Hydration – we’ve said it before, we’ll say it again: it’s all about the hydration! It really doesn’t matter what you’re drinking (aside from alcoholic beverages, which can lead to dehydration), it matters more how much you are drinking. When your body is hydrated, it can do its job to keep you cool. Keep the iced tea, lemonade, iced coffee & good ol’ fashioned water flowing.
2. Try breathable clothing – This is the time to skip the synthetics & opt for something that allows your skin to breathe. You can try high tech fabrics that wick moisture away from your skin or simply put on your most fabulous cotton clothing to stay both cute & comfortable.
3. Wear lightweight moisturizers and sunscreens to keep pores open – thick creams will block your pores and prevent the body from releasing heat, resulting in warmer internal temperatures. There are many alternatives on the market these days – experiment to find the right one that will feel as light as air on your skin.
4. Take a cool bath – Who wants to hop in the pool & risk bringing on a bad hair day? Instead fill the tub with lukewarm or cool water & dip in up to your neck. Refreshing? You bet. $40 hair blow out protected? Oh yes!
5. Apply ice – Though this advice ain’t exactly rocket science, there’s a little more to it than meets the eye. Applying ice indiscriminately can be pretty inefficient, given that there are certain areas of the body more responsive to ice than others. Try applying ice to the back of the neck, under the arms, behind the knees or at your ankles. Or all 4… sooooo refreshing.
6. Take care of the earth – Well, this isn’t really a tip, but in the wise words of Benjamin Franklin, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Do what you can today – in big and small ways – to help keep our planet healthy. Skip the plastic bag at the store, try a reusable mug or go vegetarian once a week. You just might find that’s it’s a cool idea to be green.