Does anyone feel the heat? The thermometer is rising, the days are long and it’s time to make the most of summer! The vernal equinox, otherwise known as the longest day of the year, is the perfect excuse to try a recipe for a cold, refreshing treat. As soon as we learned this super easy recipe for Acai Bowls, it became our go-to favorite for a nutritious breakfast or afternoon snack. Think of it as taking your homemade smoothie to a new level.
We love the versatility - you can use any fruit you have on hand, add granola or toasted coconut or even go exotic with some bee pollen and fresh mango on top. You'll find that acai bowls are packed with nutritious vitamins and antioxidants. Looking to entice kids to eat fresh fruit? Melt 1/4 cup chocolate chips and a spoonful of coconut oil and stir to combine. When you combine them together and pour it over your acai bowl, you create a delicious chocolate shell that hardens instantly. P.S. - It's not just for kids!
Check out this recipe from theforkedspoon.com:
- 1 banana - sliced and frozen
- ½ cup blueberries - frozen
- ½ cup strawberries - frozen
- ¾ cup milk or juice - use your favorite milk (dairy milk, soy, almond, etc) or juice (apple or grape)
- ½ cup plain yogurt - (substitute with milk or juice if desired)
- 200 grams (2 packets) frozen acai puree - broken into pieces
- assorted toppings- nuts, seeds, fresh fruit, granola, coconut, etc.
- Freeze your fruit. Slice your banana and transfer it to a small baking sheet or plate lined with parchment paper. To the same plate, add the blueberries and strawberries (store-bought frozen fruit will work just as well). Transfer tray or plate to the freezer and allow fruit to freeze completely.
- Blend. Once frozen, add the milk and yogurt to the bowl of a large, high-speed blender. Add the frozen blueberries, strawberries, banana, and broken up acai. With the blender on low, use the tamper to push the frozen fruit down, mixing around as much as possible. Continue to blend on low until smooth, only adding additional liquid when needed.
- Assemble. Divide the smoothie into two bowls and top with all your favorite toppings. Popular additions include sliced banana, nuts, seeds, granola, and berries. Best enjoyed immediately.
Enjoy the best that summer has to offer!